Bognor Regis Area

Search - Attractions

Bognor Regis United Reformed Church

Bognor Regis URC is a friendly, welcoming church situated 5 minutes walk from Bognor's main railway station. Adequate parking is available on site. Worship takes place every Sunday morning and we are pleased to welcome any holidaymakers who may be visiting the town.

Telephone: 
01243 826672
Attraction Location: 

St Wilfrid's Church

  • St Wilfrid's Church Bognor Regis
    St Wilfrid's Church Bognor Regis

St Wilfrid’s Church was dedicated in 1910 and built to meet the growing needs in the west of the town as the population of Bognor grew in what was the easternmost tithing of the ancient parish of Pagham.

What was actually built was only the first phase of a far more ambitious building by the architect George Fellowes Prynne which should have extended another three bays and had an imposing bell tower and baptistery if it had ever been completed. It was originally a daughter church to St. John the Baptist Church in London Road, Bognor and became the Parish Church on 25th of May 1971, when St. John's Church was closed.

Telephone: 
01243 841275
Attraction Location: 

Old Rectory gardens Felpham

  • Old Rectory gardens Felpham
    Old Rectory gardens Felpham
  • Old Rectory gardens Felpham
    Old Rectory gardens Felpham

Tucked away in the heart of Felpham Village is Old Rectory Gardens.

About an acre in size, this is an attractive spot with seating and is regularly used by the local residents of Felpham. Located opposite the gardens to the east, is the Fox public House and adjacent to the south is Blake’s Cottage where the poet William Blake once lived.

Attraction Location: 

Picturedrome Cinema

  • Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema
    Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema
  • Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema
    Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema
  • One of the screens at the Picturedrome Cinema
    One of the screens at the Picturedrome Cinema

Located opposite the railway station, Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema (Grade II listed) was originally the new assembly rooms, designed by local architect Arthur Smith and opened in May 1886 at the cost of £4,500. It was used for a variety of purposes, including stage shows, dancing, roller-skating, badminton and community functions. There was a main hall and a minor upstairs hall.

The most prominent feature of the cinema is the octagonal lantern tower, which at one time housed a revolving light, operated by a boy pedalling a bicycle-type mechanism that advertised its presence miles around.

Films were first presented in 1887 when David Devant brought his animatograph to Bognor on 14-16 December. Reputedly, such was the impact of the fire brigade call that it had patrons ducking for cover beneath the chairs in front of them for fear that the galloping horses would descend from the screen and crash down amongst them.

The Picturedrome continues to this day, showing all the latest films.

Telephone: 
01243 841015
Attraction Location: 

King George V Playing Fields Felpham

  • King George V Playing Fields Felpham
    King George V Playing Fields Felpham
  • King George V Playing Fields Felpham
    King George V Playing Fields Felpham

Covering and area of approximately 13 acres, King George V Playing Fields in Felpham is a popular and valuable resource used by local residents as well as visitors to relax, walk their dogs and exercise.

At some week ends, football matches and practice take place.

Facilities include :

  • Baseball Court
  • Childrens play area - swings / slides
  • Football pitches
  • Tarmac perimeter walkway of some 3/4''s of a mile (1160 metres) in length.
Attraction Location: 

Pagham Harbour Nature reserve

  • Pagham Harbour nature reserve
    Pagham Harbour nature reserve
  • Pagham Harbour nature reserve
    Pagham Harbour nature reserve
  • Pagham Harbour nature reserve
    Pagham Harbour nature reserve
  • Pagham Harbour nature reserve - towards Bognor Regis
    Pagham Harbour nature reserve - towards Bognor Regis

Pagham Nature Reserve is managed by West Sussex County Council in partnership with local landowners and community groups. Pagham Harbour Local Nature Reserve is an internationally important site for nature conservation, featuring plant and animal habitats of global rarity. The Reserve covers 1500 acres, about half of which is salt marsh and mudflats, while the rest comprises farmland, copses, lagoons, reed beds and shingle beaches.

Bird Watching and Wildlife
Pagham Harbour is an internationally important site for birds and wildlife. The main attraction of the Reserve is the bird-watching opportunities. Pagham Nature Reserve provides a home for waders and wildfowl in the autumn and winter. Brent Geese arrive in large numbers between September and January and during the summer months migrants include wheatears, sandwich terns, sand martins and chiffchaffs.

Scenic Walks in Natural Surroundings
Pagham harbour is a place not only to view wildlife but also to take in nature and what is has to offer by walking along the many paths available to take in the natural beauty of this area.

Access to the car park on the eastern side is provided by Harbour Road which is PLEASE NOTE in NEED OF REPAIR. Please understand that this road (observed August 2009) has many pot holes and is VERY uneven. Having said all that, when you get to car park you will find a place of peace and quiet where you can take in the natural surroundings of this unique area.

Telephone: 
01243 641508
Attraction Location: 

Bognor Regis Ice House

  • The Ice House Bognor Regis
    The Ice House Bognor Regis

The Ice house in Bognor Regis was built circa 1792 for Sir Richard Hotham who led the development of Bognor as a seaside resort.

It was used to store ice for domestic use and to keep food and wine chilled. Blocks of ice were separated with straw which is well known for its insulating properties.

Situated in front of the Edward Bryant School in London Road Bognor’s ice house is in a remarkable state of preservation and is a tribute to the skill of the men who built it. The construction consists of a 28ft. deep central area from the dome to the floor, which is below ground level, and the diameter of the chamber is approximately 12ft. The circular exterior wall is of fine brickwork with the dome being cemented on the inside.

The ice house of Bognor Regis is one of the best examples of its type in Sussex.

Attraction Location: 

Back to top