Churches & Chapels

Search - Attractions

Churches and Chapels in Bognor Regis

St Nicholas Church Middleton-on-sea

  • St Nicholas Church Middleton-on-sea
    St Nicholas Church Middleton-on-sea

Whereas the parish of Middleton is ancient (existed before 1086 when Doomesday Book was compiled) the present church is Victorian.

It was built in 1847 on a plot given by Richard Coote of Middleton Green, safely away from the beach where the former church, split apart by a disastrous storm in 1837, could then still be seen.

From the 1790s on the old church had been famous for its exposed position right on the edge of the low cliff; guidebooks to the new seaside resort of Bognor Regis suggested a ride along the sands to wonder at its dogged existence.

Telephone: 
01243 586348
Attraction Location: 

St Richards Church Aldwick

  • St Richards Church Aldwick
    St Richards Church Aldwick

The Parish Church of St Richard dates from 1934 and was the last stone-built church in Sussex.

There is a flourishing Sunday School group for various ages and we all join together for the Liturgy of the Sacrament. St Richard's has 8 bells, a good choir and an organ.

Telephone: 
01243 262049
Attraction Location: 

St Thomas A’Beckett Church, Pagham

  • St Thomas A’Beckett Church, Pagham
    St Thomas A’Beckett Church, Pagham

The first church on this site was built by the Saxons 1300 years ago in the 7th century AD on land given by Caedwalla, King of Wessex, to St. Wilfrid in gratitude for him helping to save the people of the area from starvation.
Later, when he returned north, St. Wilfrid gave Pagham to the Archbishop of Canterbury, who remains as Patron of the parish to this day.

Telephone: 
01243 262713
Attraction Location: 

St Anthony of Viareggio Rose green

  • St Anthony of Viareggio Rose green
    St Anthony of Viareggio Rose green

St Anthony’s church started life as a bungalow called Roughlands.

Owned by Mr Brown who lived there from 1950 to 1961. It was bequeathed his bungalow to the Servite Friars to be used as a church.

On the 6th may 1963 the Right Reverend Cyril Cowderoy, Bishop of Southwark dedicated and opened the new church. The name St Anthony of Viareggio was chosen because he was a Servite Friar, the Parish was served by the Servite Friars.

Attraction Location: 

Back to top