St Nicholas Church Middleton-on-sea

Search - Attractions

  • St Nicholas Church Middleton-on-sea
    St Nicholas Church Middleton-on-sea

Whereas the parish of Middleton is ancient (existed before 1086 when Doomesday Book was compiled) the present church is Victorian.

It was built in 1847 on a plot given by Richard Coote of Middleton Green, safely away from the beach where the former church, split apart by a disastrous storm in 1837, could then still be seen.

From the 1790s on the old church had been famous for its exposed position right on the edge of the low cliff; guidebooks to the new seaside resort of Bognor Regis suggested a ride along the sands to wonder at its dogged existence.


Elmer Rd Middleton on Sea
PO22 7SX Bognor Regis ,
Attraction Category: 
Churches & Chapels
01243 586348

Back to top